Thursday, August 11, 2011

Chanel Quartz and Maybelline Taupeward

Back when I posted the fall Maybelline display, ShaGLAM commented that one of the colors was similar to Chanel Quartz. It took me a while, but I've now swatched both and can report on the matter.

First up, Quartz, which is one of the trio of polishes from Chanel for Fall 2011. It's a taupe-ish shimmer, leaning toward frosty-ness. I used three coats; I maybe could have stopped at two if I'd made them a bit thicker.





In most lights, Quartz leans toward being cool-toned, with silver showing in the shimmer.





In low light, it takes on a warmer tone, with the gold in the shimmer stepping up. Either way, it's a nice neutral, though I do wish the brushstrokes would settle better.



Maybelline Taupeward took four coats. It's also a frosty-leaning shimmer, and the light warm tan color blended surprisingly well into my skintone.







You can see from the swatches that Taupeward is lighter and warmer than Quartz. They do have a very similar finish, though.




Top to bottom: Quartz, Taupeward, Quartz, Taupeward.



Top to bottom: Taupeward, Quartz.


Depending on your skintone and the look you're aiming for, Taupeward might be a better choice for you than Quartz. It's sure a heck of lot cheaper. Also, Taupeward might work as a layering polish, where Quartz is too opaque for me to even consider it.

13 comments:

  1. My wallet is thankful I prefer the look of the Maybelline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottle pics they look pretty close but so different on the nail :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I didn't spend the money on the Chanel-I really just don't like it! Nice comparison though! Still loving your nails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Of the 3 Chanel shades for Fall, I think Quartz is my least favorite. The only one I wanted was Peridot and I'm soo glad I got it. But from this comparison, I think I prefer the Chanel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it's weird how similar they look in the bottle and how different they look on the nail. I'm glad I'm not into Quartz, because my wallet is pretty angry already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this more than the Chanel... thanks for finding such a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!

    My most love/hate polish: toffee colored frost. I want to love it, but it doesn't work on me.

    The maybelline is a great alternative!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that comparison!!! I like both of the polishes, but Chanel is out of my league haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that Chanel and your nails look very good now! I like this shape on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think both look lovely on you Karen! I am happy that Quartz is neutral toned because I have a hard time pulling off champagne colors sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Quartz, it kinda reminds my of Illamasqua Bacterium, but with a silver shimmer instead of a blueish one. One of my favourite polishes, I put it on today :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both colours are very elegant but I would choose maybelline price tag:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.